We were almost completely unplugged for our entire time away which, I discovered, was very good for my brain. Relaxing is so much easier when you can get some time away from the massive information overload that happens every day here on planet internet.
Here is a list, in no particular order, of some other things that I discovered or rediscovered whilst away (with pictures, obviously):
- I love swimming in the sea. Even when it was so cold that it took my breath away, once acclimatised I had to rely on numb hands to signal that it really was time to get out
- When the sun shines, there really is no better place to holiday than these isles of ours. The coastline of the Llyn peninsula is particularly spectacular
- Holidaying with grandparents is a good idea. Coming home and losing their input with the boys has made me realise how much I was able to switch off with them about. Thanks Pam and Colin - it wouldn't have been half as harmonious without you!
- I have lost the ability to read. It's worrying but I seem to have developed the attention span of a goldfish. I took several books on holiday and didn't really manage to read any. On the upside I did read a few poems - I'm hoping this means that I still have a little literary leaning.
- Camping with children is great fun. I already knew this but was reminded again on seeing how excited and happy they were to be sleeping in a tent. They also slept better than they ever do at home...since our return, they have reverted to their unsatisfactory night-time habits, much to my despair.
- Everybody loves a sunset. It's one of those things that unites us the world over. There were many of us who headed down to the cliffs each evening to watch the sun sink to the sea.
- The light from a setting sun is amazing for photographs
- Picnics taste better on beaches
- Searching for beautiful stones and shells or chasing sand bugs on a beach is all the entertainment children need.
- Cycling is totally brilliant
I'd like to say something also about the campsite we stayed at but I fear that may need to wait until another day.