Wednesday 6 June 2012

Carrying the sun

Well, the rain has arrived as we knew it would and should. I'm fairly sure that when the rain started I heard the earth heave a grateful sigh. I have been rather less happy. The weather affects my mood greatly and I'm generally a more pleasant person to be around when the sun is shining. I love the freedom of being able to walk out of the door with the boys in the morning and stay out all day - frollicking in nature; cares forgotten.


I've been feeling heavy and burdened this last week and struggling to shake it off. I can't help but think it has a lot to do with grey skies and damp air. I know people say there is no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing (or something like that!) but my appetite for the outdoors is definitely tempered by wetness and greyness. It is virtually impossible, however, for us to exist harmoniously indoors, so we generally brave whatever conditions are presented to us. The boys are seemingly unfazed by the lack of warmth, whilst I am a little more grim-faced about rain dripping from my hood.






 Those beautiful sun-filled days spent with friends in rivers and woods keep me warm when the sun is no longer shining...



Tacky sun-creamed skin, sun-warmed sandwiches and blanket-strewn grass are memories I carry and keep like treasure. This year Eli took to piling up river stones to make ephemeral sculptures and Monty tentatively braved deeper waters.


While this much-needed rain continues I'll pull on my wellies and waterproof, take a deep breath and walk out into the drizzle. I'll try and remember to be thankful for the lush greenery, the flowing rivers and babbling brooks; the verdant vegetation. I'll try and remember to be thankful for the rain, even whilst I'm hoping and dreaming of more sun to come.

No comments: